It's 26 May 98  01:47:17,
We'll return to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and All's
discussion of Problem just don't leave me alone ;-))

 im> Note:  I created a group call PPP  and I did chown root:PPP pppd   and
 im> chmod XXXX pppd (according to somebody else's suggestion) but didn't
 im> make any difference.

Did you put your normal user login in the PPP group?  You need to edit
/etc/group to do this (can't remember if the X tools will do this as
well).

So the line in /etc/group will read:

ppp:<all the usual junk> yourlogin

(i.e. put your login name as the last thing on the line).

 im> Its becoming very annoying as I only can connect while root so, when I
 im> go to IRC or something, I get "don't connect as root" and disconnects
 im> me.

Until you get it fixed, there is a simple workaround.  Login as root,
get your PPP connection up, then type:

su - yourlogin

At which point, you should be logged in as yourself, and can IRC
happily. :-)

.. Oxymoron: Clearly Confused