On 26 May, Steven D Boozer wrote:
> Hello,
>     Thanks to everyone who responded with the help and info on my PnP modem
> last night and to pnpdump and isapnp. I finally got my Supra Express 56i
> (PnP) to dial-out.  I only had to take out my sounds card and networking
> card--NE2000--, wipe the drive and reinstall RedHat5 again. I thought it
> would be easier to have the bare minimum on hardware to get this modem
> problem resolved (I guess the configs matter from setup, not just removing
> hardware and rebooting, right?)  Not a big deal, because I'm learning
> alot--from many mistakes.

First of all - please remember that this is Linux and not some other
operating system. There are incredibly few occasions on which you have
to re-install the OS - parts of the OS can be turned off (such as the
ethernet and sound card) once the OS has booted.

Your problems with finding the modem are because this is a PnP card. I
suggest you look at the isapnp tool set and associated documents as
this will almost certainly sort out your PnP problems (with all the
cards installed in your machine).

> pppd[878]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/modem
> pppd[878]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
> pppd[878]: Connection terminated.
> pppd[878]: Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean:
> pppd[878]: Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0
> pppd[878]: Exit.

I suggest you look at the PPP-HOWTO where this message is discussed.
The HOWTO is in the HOWTO rpm on Red Hat 5.0 and is installed in
/usr/doc/HOWTO/...

This ALSO covers all the other issues you raised.

Don't be dicscouraged however, PPP on Linux seems complex because of
its great power and flexibility.

As a suggestion, you should read the section on PAP in the HOWTO as a
Windows NT PPP server will almost certainly require this (if not MS
CHAP - for which also see the HOWTO).

Finally, take a look (as root) at the netcfg tool (part of
control-panel). This provides a very easy interface that allows you tyo
set up your PPP connection. Documentation for this is at
http://www.redhat.com/support/ in the documentation area (look for the
PPP-TIP).

--

Robert Hart                                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Red Hat Software Inc.           Phone: +1-919-547-0012  Fax: +1-919-547-0024