okay... what is happening is they have the scripted type
login support disabled. yes, I know this is stupid.. but
there are a lot of places that do it.

Try logging in like this
for your expect/send string  ONLY dial the phone
number send -nothing- else.

use pap authentifaction and set up your
/etc/pap-secrets file.

that should get you logged in.
if you need more explanation, let us know :)

----------------------------------

-Mail: Will LaShell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Date: 28-May-98     Time: 18:58:23
___--__________________--_____--____--________________
____--________________--______--____--________________
_____--______--______--_______--____--________________
______--____----____--___--___--____--________________
_______--__--__--__--____--___--____--________________
________----____----_____--___--____--________________
_________--______--______--___--____--________________

    I just wanted to say thanks to Joshua for mentioning ezppp as well as the other things.  Ezppp helped me understand alot of what is going on and what scripts look for.  I was able to login immediately to my first ISP, but using the terminal window in ezppp. I also was able to create a login script that works pretty slick.
    My 2nd ISP (that I'd prefer to use) uses 56K Flex connections.  I know that they use Windows NT4 for a fact, but I am unable to login using ezppp.  I have a terminal window opened when going through the login.  I see a " login: " and a "password:", but I get a " logindenied login:" on the next step.  I tried entering my email address that I have with them as the username and that seems to make it take longer and spit out some garbage, but it never asks me " Enter protocol type (PPP/SLIP):" like my first ISP does.  I emailed them, but no response yet.  I think the word (Linux) in my email might have scared them.
    I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is some kind of standard to the login that MS CHAP uses.  Thanks in advance.

(I have ipmasquerading working successfully on my LAN as well. I am still in awe at all the features that came with RedHat5.0's standard kernel.  Pretty cool! Just my opinion, but I can't understand why in the world Windows NT is successful at all. Do you guys think that MS's days of dominance are limited [..sounding like the newbie that I am, sorry]?  I know what I would rather use--thanks to the help of many others in the newsgroups
Sincerely,
Steven D Boozer

Hi Steven,
I faced a similar problem with my connection. It cleaned up when I checked the loopback address of my machine. Can you check your /etc/resolv.conf & etc/hosts.
Where is your 127.0.0.1 address pointed to. My modem was looping back constantly and I kept getting this message. You should have a line
127.0.0.1 localhost
and the localhost address should not point to anything else

Aside from this,
I downloaded ezppp from the net, and this helped me connect quickly... something I have been struggling with for over 4 months... of course out of ignorance.
Hope you get thru
Jessie:))

> From: Steven D Boozer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]