>writes:

    Darren> Ok here goes an effort to explain this properly: I am trying to
    Darren> setup PPP on my newly installed RedHat 5.0 Linux Box.  I have set
    Darren> up my resolv.conf file so that it looks like this: domain
    Darren> myprovider.com nameserver my.provider.name.server I know the
    Darren> nameserver works.  I connect in minicom, and exit without resetting
    Darren> and then run pppd.  I do an ifconfig and I can see that it has
    Darren> assigned me IP (dynamically obviously).  But when I try to ping
    Darren> anything, it does not see anything.  I have read the PPP-HOWTO but
    Darren> (unfortunately for me) I am new to linux and have difficulty
    Darren> following everthing at this point.  If anyone can point me in the
    Darren> right direction I would appreciate it greatly.  Thanks,

This might be a dumb question but does your resolv.conf contain a network name
or an IP address?  Your example shows 'nameserver my.provider.name.server'.  If
you truly typed a name rather than its IP address, nothing will work.  How can
the name be resolved to an address before you have a DNS to do the resolution?

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 946-0300
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza II                           Beeper: (800) 505-2795
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                          web: http://www.ppllc.com