On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Dodi Is DEAD wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> This is my very first post here and my very first time using Linux. I
> have a few questions that I think you can answer easily. I'm a windows
> user .. and as all windows user .. I'm sick of it hanging all the time
> and would like a stable system.
>
> So far, I managed to install Red Hat 5.0 and also X. Now I have some
> questions.
> 1) How do I connect my computer to the net using a modem? What software
> should I use?

launch xwindows as root (login as root, type startx).  click on the
network icon in the control pannel.  Use the tool that will show up (the
network control panel, or netcfg for short) to add an interface.  Set up
the phone number of your isp, your username and password, any other
options that you see and think you need, then click on "activate."

That was the short version.  Take a look and get a feel for what it is and
feel free to ask me any other questions you may have.

> 2) I noticed that you can download upgrades to 5.1. Do I have to
> download everything? All of the .RPM files? or just the ones I want?

Just the ones you want. (but it won't be a true update to RedHat 5.1.  To
do that, you either need to run the RedHat 5.1 installer in update mode
(the easy and most effictive way), or download and install every rpm that
you already have on your system (the long, drawn out way).

> 3) Say I've downloaded lynx-2.8-4.i386.rpm. How do I install it?

cd to the directory that you downloaded it to and type in:
rpm -Uvh <name.of.i386.rpm>

-----
Jim Kusznir ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
RidgeNET Tech Support