Hi,
Concerning recompiling the kernel with support for my Ethernet PCI lan II
card from linksys, I found somthin that could be interesting: Compiling the
device driver of the ethernet card as a module. Could anyone clarify that
with me: So, when I recompile the kernel for my Ethernet card, in a sense,
that includes recompiling my device driver (or I m wrong?). Well, I hope I
could recompile the kernel for my ethernet card but without using the
ethernet card driver, cause I really have no Linux s device driver for my
ethernet card. It would be kind from you, if you could clarify all of that
for me.Here s what I think should be done to have my eth0 detected by
redhat 4.2(am I wrong?):
You may skip this step if a pre-compiled module is available for your Linux
distribution. In many
cases drivers compiled for similar kernel versions will work. Pre-compiled
modules are available for:

     RedHat 4.2, kernel version 2.0.30 with module versions
     RedHat 4.1, kernel version 2.0.27 with module versions

If a pre-compiled module is not available, you'll have to compile one from
the driver source code. In
the instructions below driver.c refers to the name of the driver source
file for your device e.g.
3c59x.c, and driver.o refers to the compiled driver module binary.

     Verify that the source code for your current kernel version is
installed.
     If you don't have a /usr/include/linux/version.h file, do
     cd /usr/src/linux; make include/linux/version.h
     Copy the driver source code to a source directory. I usually use
/usr/src/modules/driver.c.
     Compile the file using the compile-command at the bottom of the driver
source file. If a
     compile-command is not there use the following compile command:

     gcc -DMODVERSIONS -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet -O6
-c driver.c

     If the previous command fails with the error "linux/modversions.h not
found", delete the

     -DMODVERSIONS

     from the compile command and try again.
     As 'root', test the module by doing "insmod driver.o".
     Install the driver module in the proper location for your
distribution. This is usually
     /lib/modules/kernel-version/net/driver.o. The command to do this is

         install -m 644 driver.o /lib/modules/`uname -r`/net/

------------
>Hello Everybody,
>
>As My redhat 4.2 is already installed, and I just want to recompile the
kernel for my ethernet card support.

>Question: I read that for recompiling, I should have  a copy of at least one
>source distribution of a kernel. ..In my case I imagine that the copy is
the one that is already on my system right?
>QuestionII: In my case, I dont need to get a kernel source distribution, I
have it already as my actual installed kernek right?
>III. I guess I should do make config.
>But make zimage, make dep..and the others, do not apply right?
Sony Lloyd Ponton
5136 De Gaspe
Montreal, QC
H2T-1z9