On 2018-01-15 14:31 -0500, Ulrich Wisser wrote:
> I might be mistaken, but I believe that IANA sends root updates to
> Verisign via EPP.

Yes.

See page 5 of
https://archive.icann.org/en/meetings/seoul2009/bitcache/IANA%20Update%20-%20Kim%20Davies,%20IANA-vid=7506&disposition=attachment&op=download.pdf

and
https://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/publications/root_zone_administrator_proposal-relatedtoiana_functionsste-final.pdf

The  current  automated  RZMS replaced the legacy root zone update,
validation, extraction, and distribution methods   with a
web based user interface (UI) that permits  Top-Level Domain (TLD)
managers to submit change requests , an Extensible Provisioning Protocol
(EPP) client and server system that communicates  incoming
root  zone  change requests between the IFO and the RZM,
[..]

(IFO=IANA, RZM=Verisign as DNS root operator)

--
Patrick Mevzek