Hi James,

thanks a lot for your feedback.

My comments are below.

Il 02/03/2022 14:01, Gould, James ha scritto:

Mario,

Thank you for sharing the draft.  We implemented EPP/HTTPS in parallel with EPP/TLS a while back for many years.  In the end, there were very few registrars that chose to use EPP/HTTPS, so it was shutdown.  I’m not sure at this point whether there is hunger from the registrars to implement EPP/HTTPS.

[ML] Maybe one reason against the implementation of EPP over HTTP thus far has been the lack of a specification about it :-)

I believe that, especially for those registries accostumed to develop their systems in-house, EPP over HTTP can be more straightforward than EPP over TCP.

Implementers are normally more knowledgeable about REST programming than TCP sockets and web services can benefit from a lot of open-source software managing automatically some features and providing support for many others.

In reviewing the draft, one difference with our EPP/HTTPS implementation is that establishing the HTTPS session was separate from establishing the EPP session, like what is done with TLS.  The HTTPS session was established with returning the greeting, and the only EPP command that impacted the HTTPS session was the logout command by dropping the HTTPS session, like the logout command dropping the TLS connection on the server-side.  By not mixing the EPP commands with the underlying transport, it was possible to configure the transport (TLS or HTTPS) on the client-side, as was done in our EPP SDK.  My recommendation is to ensure to keep the transport purely a transport and not have the login command intermingled with the HTTPS session.

[ML]  My opinion is that the approach described in the draft is still compliant with RFC 5730.

Section 2.9.1 states that the EPP command starting a session is <login> which appears to me also consistent with the fact that every session in a REST service is established after a successful authentication phase.

Neither It seems to me that the proposal mixes the EPP commands with the underlying transport. On the contrary, mapping an EPP session onto an HTTP session makes the application layer completely independent on the physical layer, for sure more independent than EPP over TCP.
One other difference was the use of the media type “text/xml” instead of defining a new one with “application/epp+xml”.
[ML] Just realized that the "application/epp+xml" was already defined by RFC 5730. I missed that . I'll remove the section regarding the media type from the document.
The EPP packet length was set with the “Content-Length” header along with relying on the HTTP keep-alive, which is consistent.

[ML] Don't think that strictly relying on the HTTP keep-alive feature is good, especially in a load balancing scheme.

Anyway, I have booked a slot at next meeting to present the proposal. So we can have time for a live discussion.

Best,

Mario

--

JG