Jim,

It’s too bad that you didn’t weigh in when I requested for opinions with the
mailing list thread
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/regext/V5znHXurkApuTJaL_GOyQUYMddw/ in
March.  For SMTPUTF8 to be used, there must be a policy decision made by all
three R’s (Registry, Registrar, and Registrant), so there is no concept of
being “out of luck”.  When it’s implemented, there are multiple alternate forms
of communication (postal address, voice, and fax) that can be used for
insurance.  Your proposal will require having a permanent ASCII alternate
email, since draft -17 received negative feedback related to having a
transition period.  If an ASCII email is always required, SMTPUTF8 email
addresses will never be used as first-class citizens in EPP.  Do you see the
need for an ASCII email as a permanent requirement?

You stated, “If we’re going to stand firm on the current working group
consensus, then I believe the question to be answered is why EPP is special and
shouldn’t be required to align with accepted practice?”  What accepted practice
are you referring to?
Now acting in your role as chair, how do we establish consensus now that you as
an individual don’t support the working group consensus?

Thanks,

--

JG

[cid87442*image001.png@01D960C5.C631DA40]