Jim,

You are now stating that redirection is a "special case" and using the
word "claim" which I perceive as you being dismissive of the validity
of their need. As I have repeatedly written on this list and these
threads, redirection is very much used when dealing with the transfer
of number resources between the INRs. That is why I specifically
referenced Appendix C of RFC 7480 because figure 3 describes the use
case.

As another example, if you were to query
https://rdap.lacnic.net/rdap/ip/190.211.150.1 you will get back an
HTTP 307 with the location header value of
"https://rdap.arin.net/registry/ip/190.211.150.1";. Yet if you look in
the bootstrap files you will see that 190/8 points to
https://rdap.lacnic.net/rdap. What this means is that the bootstrap
files are not granular enough to direct clients to the appropriate
server and the RIRs are using redirection to get clients to the
correct place.

Also, you have been dismissive of the RDAP redirection services which
are a valid part of the ecosystem and serve a purpose for the simpler
clients and for constrained environments. Consider a network operator
writing a shell script using curl and jq to find the most specific
covering networking of an IP. Using the bootstrap files requires
downloading the appropriate file (there are different ones for v4 and
v6), sorting the service hosts by "http" scheme, and using an advanced
dsa such as a trie or modified bst. Plus to be a good netizen, they
need to deal with the cache-control of the bootstrap file. Or they can
point curl at a redirect service and not worry about all that. That
is, the bootstrap process is doable but it is certainly non-trivial.

For constrained environments a local bootstrap service is beneficial
as it cuts down on the bandwidth/latency of every client grabbing the
bootstrap files.

-andy