On Nov 21, 2001  22:58 +0100, Dieter Nützel wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 21. November 2001 22:20 schrieb Andreas Dilger:
> > The normal ext2 solution in this case is "move it all to a separate dir,
> > cp -a from the old dir, and then wait for e2fsck to clean up".
>
> Sorry, I don't understand you, here.
>
> If I _first_ move all to a separate dir, the original dir is empty, no?
>
> You mean "move it all to a separate dir, cp -a from the new to the old dir,
> delete the new one, and then wait for e2fsck to clean up"?

So, you have a lot of bad inodes in /dev, do this (untested, but easily
reversible):

mv /dev /.badattr
mkdir /dev
lsattr -d /dev

Hopefully /dev is created without any attributes.  If it is, then you need
to find a directory which has no attribute bits set, create /dev there,
and mv it to the root directory.

cp -a /.badattr/* /dev
lsattr -R /dev

Hopefully all of the new inodes in /dev will not have attributes set.
Presumably, the reiserfs attribute code does not inherit attributes
for files which do not support them (e.g. special files), because
ioctls on these files will talk to the device/socket/etc instead of
to the filesystem.  This might need to be fixed in the reiserfs patch.

In the end, these attributes don't do anything bad for you, so they
could all just be ignores.  You can put other bad files into .badattr
until then also.

> > Since reiserfsck won't do thisyet , just consider it a few kB of lost space
> > in /dev/bad or whatever.  This _should_ be OK, because "cp" doesn't
> > know anything about attributes.

So, maybe you can delete some files in /.badattr, maybe not.  It is
only a few kB, and it will last until reiserfsck gets around to fixing it.

> SunWave1 /# time chattr -R -B /

Not supported.

Cheers, Andreas
--