Russell Coker wrote:

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 12:28, Hans Reiser wrote:

We were discussing how to optimize reiser4 best, and came to realize
that us developers did not have a good enough intuition for what users
do that stresses their filesystem enough that they care about its
performance.

Booting the machine seems like one activity that many users end up
waiting on the FS for. Yes?

Yes, although there are other factors than the file system which determine boot time. Different types of init scripts can probably improve performance more than anything you could do to a file system.

Also if you have a rack-mount server then it'll probably take 2 minutes or more to go through the BIOS checks so FS delays will seem like nothing by comparison.

I mostly meant waiting for the fs to read all the binaries that get executed at startup, not just the journal replay time.