Voicu Liviu wrote (ao):
> > In your case, there is no reason to renice the compile to -10, as
> > there are no other processes which take cpu, and therefore there is
> > nothing to gain.
>
> This is CORRECT, but think, could I use XFree while some preccese has
> nice value -10? I don't think so

You should be able to. But is your X also -10 ?
You said you had problem with that too, but that is really weird as X
would not want 100% cpu.

In an other mail you write that your compiles are very fast. If a new
kernel doesn't solve your problem, and compiles are very fast anyway, I
would say: don't do that then (the renice to -10), or renice to -5 or
some value which does not bother you.

I'm quite sure this is not reiserfs related in any way. Just convert
your p300 to reiserfs and see what happens.