On Thursday 18 November 2004 06:07, David Masover wrote:

> I was talking about perception.  People already have Windows, therefore
> they already have Windows Defrag.  It's "free" in the sense that
> Internet Explorer is "free".  Imagine how little Firefox's market share
> would be if it cost money.  Notice how they can afford a full-page ad in
> the New York Times.  Not that it's infallible, just that I don't see a
> better business plan right now, biased as I am (I'm an end-user).
>
> [...]

Sure, people know Windows, on the other hand Linux is known for not
having a big problem with filesystem fragmentation.

http://www.willsmith.org/opensource/reiser4/fragperf/test1/
As Reiser4 seems to do a lot better than ext3. A repacker is nice
to have but it will only be a requirement for big businesses.
Big businesses are usually using some kind of enterprise linux.
Maybe Hans is able to strike a deal with some Linux distributors
to allow for a repacker inclusion into their enterprise server
product line.

No Namesys, no reiser4, no need for a repacker ;-)

--
lg, Chris