On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 21:27 +0400, Nikita Danilov wrote:
[snip]
> Frankly speaking, I suspect that name-as-attribute is going to limit
> usability of file system significantly.
>
> Note, that in the "real world", only names from quite limited class are
> attributes of objects, viz. /proper names/ like "France", or "Jonathan
> Briggs". Communication wouldn't get any far if only proper names were
> allowed.
>
> Nikita.

Bringing up /proper names/ from the real world agrees with my idea
though! :-)

As a person, you have a list of "proper names" that you answer to and
that you prefer.  However, in some cases you will also answer to "Hey,
you over there!" or "Someone who left a white Honda in the parking lot,
please turn your lights off."

So a file could have a list of proper names, but it can also be referred
to in any other way and by any other name.  Proper names would be
preferred, though.
--
Jonathan Briggs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
eSoft, Inc.