On 8/19/05, Hans Reiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think it would make sense to put the keys as files in /proc:
> e.g.
> touch  /proc/1/keys/private/"0893410984328098094321"
> would give init (aka process with id of 1) a new key that its children
> would not inherit
> touch  /proc/1/keys/inheritable/"1893410984328098094321"
> would give init a new key that is children WOULD inherit.
>
> Not sure what the permissions on that keys directory would be, I guess 700.

Eh, that would make leaks of key information easy..  Since most
applications don't assume that something visable in a file name could
be highly confidential information. :)

Better to have the file in proc be an abbriviated keyid (some kind of
smaller lossy hash of the key). To add you might echo "label:real key
data" > /proc/1/keys/private/keys, and a file would appear named
/proc/1/keys/private/label-123abcd which is a user defined label and
the hash.

Under no condition should a process be able to actually read the key
data.. they can get the ID.. delete keys based on IDs.. etc. But they
can't get the data.. otherwise a process could steal keys. If I take
away a processes key from proc, there should be no way for it to get
any further access to those files.. no chance that it could have
hidden away a copy of that key.