Vladimir V. Saveliev wrote:
On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 10:25 +0000, Brian Uhrain wrote:
P.S. If you want any more information on the VMware issue, I can see if it still does it on one of my home systems, and try to grab kernel messages via serial console.

Yes, please do so.

I've tried to recreate the lockup at home without success; VMware ran just fine. I'd say either the problem has been fixed (when I encountered the lockup I was using a 2.6.12 or 2.6.13 kernel, and am currently using 2.6.15--in all cases vanilla kernel.org sources with the reiser4 patches from ftp.namesys.com), or it's a bad interaction with one of the other kernel components. I mention the latter because at home my system has an IDE disk without any fancy partitioning, and my work system--in addition to being dual-core--has two SATA drives and the partition in question was an LVM partition striped across the two drives.

- Brian