Mike Benoit wrote:

Just like many other applications that support plugins/extensions/addons
( like Firefox, Thunderbird, Azureus ) I would be incredibly surprised
if Reiser4 doesn't spawn a large community of people completely
independent of Namesys that create plugins from the useless, to the
amazingly useful for years to come.

You would hope. The problem is, most of the ideas we have for amazing/useless/practical plugins have already been done as specialized filesystems in FUSE. What's more, FUSE doesn't usually require root privileges to run, causing some people to do such useless things as support for various filesystems already in the kernel (so you can loop-mount filesystems without using the loop device or having root privileges).

Although, there is one other thing to consider -- NTFS in the kernel has stagnated for something like 10 years without write support, while userspace tools like ntfsck and resize_ntfs, using libntfs, have actually gotten relatively stable at dealing with all kinds of ntfs oddities. For awhile, we had captive-ntfs (also done in FUSE), but more recently, someone wrote a FUSE driver for libntfs, making the first reasonably stable fully featured read/write NTFS driver for Linux.

It's also reasonably fast, sometimes faster than ext2/3, I'm told.

The big advantage of that is, FUSE is easier to deal with than the kernel, and userland daemons can crash, but if something in the kernel crashes, there goes your OS.

Also, userland just has more options. Some FUSE drivers are written in Perl, others in Ruby.

I realize there are some things that are really better done in the kernel, like crypto/compression support, and Reiser4 will support things that FUSE currently doesn't do very well. But if we're to pull any filesystem hackers away from FUSE, we need to provide as good or better an API, both in-kernel, and for userspace daemons.