On Sunday 06 August 2006 10:20, Hans Reiser wrote:
> TongKe Xue wrote:
> > A really stupid question ... why not put Reiser4 in one of the BSDs?
>
> The cost to port to BSD is about $500k, and I am not possessed of a lot
> of money at this time.  There is also a license issue, I don't want
> reiser4 to be BSD licensed, people who want proprietary additions to
> reiser4 should pay me for reiser4.

An alternative might be a reiser4 fuse port. Has some advantages:

- Doesn't need to be included into the kernel.

- can be GPL

- Referring to the fuse site it also works on BSD (http://fuse4bsd.creo.hu/).

- Kills one of the major arguments on LKML - if reiser4 is included but
Namesys abandons  it in the future and reiser4 has to be removed from the
kernel that time again, it still could be mounted.

Sorry, I have never looked into any of the reiserfs code, but looking at the
simple interface of fuse, it might be possible that you could reuse lots of
your present code.
There even is ongoing work to get a ZFS fuse port
(http://www.wizy.org/wiki/ZFS_on_FUSE).

Cheers,
        Bernd

--