David Masover wrote:
Edward Shishkin wrote:

Tom Reinhart wrote:

Anyone with serious need for data integrity already uses RAID, so why add brand new complexity for a solved problem?

RAID is great at recovering data, but not detecting errors. File system can detect errors with checksum. What is missing is an API between layers for filesystem to say "this sector is bad, go rebuild it."

Actually we dont need a special API: kernel should warn and recommend
running fsck, which scans the whole tree and handles blocks with bad
checksums.

What does this have to do with RAID, though?

I assumed we dont have raid: reiser4 can support its own checksums/ecc
signatures for (meta)data protection via node plugin