I am skeptical that bitflip errors above the storage layer are as common
as the ZFS authors say, and their statistics that I have seen somehow
lack a lot of detail about how they were gathered.  If, say, a device
with 100 errors counts as 100 instances for their statistics.....  Well,
it would be nice to know how they were gathered.  Next time I meet them
I must ask.

That said, if users want it, there should be a plugin that checks the bits.

I agree that stripe awareness and the need to signal the underlying raid
that a block needs to be recovered is important.  Checksumming at the fs
level seems like a reasonable plugin.

I have no opinion on the computational cost of ECC vs. checksums, I will
trust that you are correct.