Konstantin Münning wrote:
David Masover wrote:

(snip)
It shouldn't be touching the disk AT ALL when there's over a gig of FREE
RAM (as in, neither buffer nor cache nor actually used yet), and the
file I'm attempting to download is less than 200 megs.  I tried an
strace, but as I am not at all skilled in the ways of debugging or
reverse engineering, I got syscall spam -- a 200 meg log file, and when
I finally found a decent way to analyze it, I found most of Azureus'
system call wall time is spent in futex().  Huh?

Looked up "futex" on Wikipedia, and I still have no clue how this makes
any sense.  Either futex was somehow thrashing the disk, or Azureus has
somehow managed to fork completely out of strace's control.  Or maybe
it's somehow something that the kernel is doing on its own, which is
somehow forcing azureus to block, but somehow not tripping strace's
timers while doing so.

Have you used -f or -ff with strace?

I used -f.  What's the difference between that and -ff?