Hi,

I think we have come to a conclusion, but not to a descision. Let's try to
change that. Below you find the proposal based on the various mails to this
list. I will wait untill there are a few supporters for this proposal, before
posting it to k-c-d and k-d. Improvements are welcome too.

Best,

Toma

The release-team has decided to change the organisation of the kdesupport
system we use. Please read the details below.

Problem
------------
KDE development is devided in several branches, especially the current stable
KDE branch and the unstable development branch in trunk. kdesupport libraries
are independant of KDE, but KDE depends on them. At this moment there is no
indication at all which kdesupport library should be used for a certain KDE
branch.

We want a simple system for developers to just know for sure that you got the
right kdesupport libraries when you want to compile a KDE tree completely from
subversion.

Solution
------------
For each main kde tree we will create a tag. For example for the current stable
KDE release we create a tags/kdesupport-for-4.1/. Within that folder there are
(cheap)copies of the kdesupport libraries which should be used for compiling
the KDE 4.1 tree. For example:
   tags/kdesupport-for-4.1/phonon/    (svn cp'ed from tags/phonon/4.2.0)
   tags/kdesupport-for-4.1/strigi/    (svn cp'ed from tags/strigi/strigi/0.5.11)
   tags/kdesupport-for-4.1/qca/    (svn cp'ed from tags/qca/2.0.1)
Also, it will contain a CMake file, so all subdirectories can be build in one
go. So if you want KDE4.1, just simply checkout this tag and you are done.

The same will go for trunk, so we will create a kdesupport-for-trunk. This also
contains copies to the right version of the kdesupport libraries needed to
build trunk. That means developers have a choise: either use trunk/kdesupport
where development takes place, so that could lead to breakage in for example
kdelibs but you can probably fix them, or you choose to compile KDE trunk with
kdesupport from /tags/kdesupport-for-trunk and you are sure kdelibs trunk
compiles from it.

Who
The kdesupport maintainers should make sure that the right version if available
in each tag. If they release a new version they update the copy with a simple
svnn rm + svn cp. If some kdesupport developers think everyone should just use
their trunk, they could just regularly rm+cp the "tag" from their trunk. An svn
external would have been more appropiate in that case, but that's unfortunatly
not an option.

When