From: James Henderson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 4:01 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Maine History: An Opportunity for Cheap Jabs?

A correspondent to the list supposes that European and
American history sanitized of all references to non
Christian religions and all non European peoples might
be, in effect, the humanities version of a "young
earther" teaching biology.

Remarks of this character do not move the list along
in any appreciable way.  The incapacity of such
remarks to be contributory flows from two, at least,
distinct defects of the remark:  the prejudices that
such a remark embodies; and, the insufficiency of
information that maintenance of such prejudice
requires.

The correspondent leaves, with his remark, the
distinct impression that all will agree immediately
(without thought?) with his larger point on the
undeniable, reflexive power of his narrow point.
After all, what thinking person could possibly be a
"young earther"?  (Leaving aside the definitional
problems associated with such a question.)  In this
way, the correspondent could have as easily invoked
any of a number of other readily recognized
stereotypical associations based on race, ethnicity,
class, religion, etc., and would have had, with the
appropriate audience the exact same success he appears
to have intended to obtain here.

As to the second point, the concept that one must
kiss, lick or swallow the Darwinian talisman to have
capacity to teach a substantive course in biology or
the earth sciences is to myopically ignore the three
thousand plus years of recorded observational
scientific development while focusing in obsessive
compulsive fashion on the last 100 years of that
history of science.

True, entire course years in biology could be devoted
to the study of origins (unless the education
authority recognizes how much more appropriate such a
topic is to the curriculum in social science or
philosophy).  But it is just as possible to spend
years teaching biology and biological sciences without
concerning oneself with the philosophic question of
origins.

In any event, a high school biology course could
certainly be taught in such fashion with ease, and the
suggestion that a young earther's course of
instruction would be information-lite suffers from the
very defects that it lays as a charge against those
young earthers.

Jim "Breaking Down the Mechanics of Prejudices"
Henderson

Senior Counsel

ACLJ