From: Steven Jamar [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 11:11 AM
To: Religion & Law List
Subject: UU ministers arrested

Two Unitarian Universalist Ministers were arrested in NY for performing
same-sex marriages under the power granted them by the state, not just
as religious unions.  Of course the typical faultlines are exposed -
including claims of violation of separation of church and state.  But
surely that cannot be true - this is a simple case of a prosecutor
interpreting the State and Federal Constitutions to permit this sort of
gender discrimination in marriage - and so enforcing the law as he
interprets it.

What always strikes me as curious in these are the cries of "upholding
the law" - as if the constitutions were not law, and indeed superior law
at that.

Anyway does anyone see an establishment problem with these prosecutions
that I am missing?

washington post article is at

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61436-2004Mar15.html

Steve
--
Prof. Steven D. Jamar                               vox:  202-806-8017
Howard University School of Law                     fax:  202-806-8567

A word is dead
When it is said,
Some say.
I say it just