The use of the term "fundamentalist" is not inherently uncivil or disreputable. Many people are fundamentalists and describe themselves that way. I have a pack of relatives like that. Other relatives are not, however.

But I agree that the term can be misused and applied to many who are not. Most Christians I know, like most Jews and Muslims are not fundamentalists. But some are. Including some who do not like the term, but whose views track with those who use the term to describe themselves.

Steve