Eugene, these may be the ramblings of an old law professor fast
approaching senility.  But could you please say a bit more about your
point #1?  I think that I agree with you about Locke v. Davey, but I
thought that the gist of the other cases was that the prohibition you
describe in #1 would be problematic at best.  (Herein of
"discrimination" and "neutrality.")

I say that I *think* that I agree with you about Locke v. Davey because
I wonder just how far the case extends.  There is something about
schooling and education more generally that generate constitutional
concerns that may or may not be present when wading in the water, even
if the water is in a public park.

Two questions:

(1)  Following Locke v. Davey, is it constitutional for the government
to say that "religious activity is specifically prohibited"?  I assume
yes, given Lamb's Chapel, Rosenberger, and Pinette, since this activity
is speech as well as religious conduct.  Or am I mistaken?

(2)  If Virginia had a state RFRA, would an evenhanded restriction on
going into the water be seen as a substantial burden?  (I assume that
the rule would fail strict scrutiny, if it had to be exposed to strict
scrutiny, given that it seems relatively unlikely that people would
drown when surrounded by dozens of people.)