I'm not sure I fully understand this argument, but I don't know all that much about church doctrine or tax law. Can you help me, Tom. Is the argument that the religious leaders of certain faith communities are prohibited by church doctrine from serving in leadership positions or taking on speaking roles in 501(c)(4) organizations? Or is it a tax law problem? Do IRS regulations make it difficult for clergy to participate in 501(c)(4) organizations, perhaps because they receive compensation from a 501(c)(3)? Can someone work part time at both a 501(c)(3) and part time at a 501(c)(4)? Can a church categorize itself as a (c)(4) organization and lose its tax exempt status? If so, that takes us back to problems relating to the impracticality of segregating one's activities and the cost in lost subsidies and exemptions of maintaining organizational and operational unity -- but that problem applies to both secular and religious individuals and institutions.

I understand the argument that clergy have to be able to be free to speak out on political issues. What I'm less clear about is why they have to be able to do so from a tax exempt status.

I suppose the second issue suggested by Tom's post is whether church rules about polity effectively respond to the free speech concern. If only associations expressing a particular viewpoint have certain kinds of rules about who can speak for the organization, and that distinction is accepted as a justification for regulating the speech of those associations less rigorously than the speech of associations with different viewpoints, does that resolve the debate distorting consequence of accepting this distinction? Avoiding debate distorting government action is, after all, why we are concerned about viewpoint discrimination in the first place.

Alan Brownstein
UC Davis