Why? It is Virginia that has set up an establishment clause defense to the federal act. The Act itself purports to protect Free Exercise rights and Thomas does not contend these are not incorporated .And Thomas ash also joined opinions suggesting that what is permitted accommodation is not necessarily forbidden by the Establishment Clause. The prisoner plaintiff( respondent)is not contending that Virginia’s’ limited accommodation policy establishes religion by preferring main line faiths.

Marc Stern

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Marty Lederman
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 1:36 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics; David Cruz; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: The Merits in Newdow

Justice Thomas, by the way, would also hold that the Fourteenth Amendment does not incorporate the Establishment Clause:  "Quite simply, the Establishment Clause is best understood as a federalism provision—it protects state establishments from federal interference but does not protect any individual right."  This suggests that Justice Thomas might be very sympathetic to the State of Virginia's federalism-based Establishment Clause argument in the (likely-to-be) upcoming case challenging the constitutionality of RLUIPA, Bass v. Madison.