I haven't read the opinion, so this comment may not really be related to the facts of the case -- but off the top of my head I would have thought that requiring students to participate in the distribution of private religious messages violates both free speech and establishment clause requirements -- and the existence of some kind of alleged forum would not make any difference.

Eugene, do you think the University of Virginia under Rosenberger could have required its students to 1. accept copies of all the periodicals produced by student organizations, and 2. bring copies of those periodicals home to their parents -- or deliver them to anyone else for that matter? Why should students be required to facilitate the distribution of any private organization's political or religious message? Could the state condition my use of a public park on my agreement to accept any leaflets handed to my by leaflet distributors and to bring them home to my wife.

Alan Brownstein
UC Davis