Isn't the question one of "should liberal law professors not oppose him?" There is a difference between supporting and simply choosing not to actively oppose. I might prefer someone else, but choose not to oppose a particular candidate, saving my few arrows for a more important target. Replacing Breyer with McConnell would be much more of concern to me than replacing Rehnquist.