Suppose instead of Flynt satirizing Falwell, the Rev. Llynt preaches a
sermon in his progressive church decrying the theological positions
taken by Falwell, denouncing the alleged intrusion of Falwell's theology
into politics, and characterizing Falwell as a modern-day Pharisee. The
sermon concludes that it is behavior and proselytization such as that in
which Falwell engages that continues to contribute to the agony of Jesus
on the Cross. The sermon is broadcast on tv, radio, and/or the web (to
get roughly the same dissemination as Flynt managed with Hustler).
Falwell is understandably upset and emotionally distressed (assume that
it's just as distressing to him as were the comments about his mother).

Must Falwell meet a higher burden because the offending speech is a
religious sermon rather than a parody in a secular publication? Should
the courts get involved in the modern equivalent of the 17th century
"pamphlet wars" if one or both of the parties alleges some sort of
emotional distress or other damage? Or should the courts do as suggested
the jury in Thomas Maule's trial: "This is a matter for a jury of
divines."?

I think it makes a lot of sense to severely limit the extent to which
courts measure the emotional distress caused by religious expression (in
contrast to other speech). Otherwise, because religious expression also
is a form of free exercise, a back door is open to curtail the free
exercise rights of the speaker.

Jim Maule
Villanova University School of Law

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 3/14/2005 4:36:01 PM >>>
While free exercise and free speech may be different in many respects,
and
indeed most constitutional rights differ from all other rights, as they
are
not merely fungible from one to another, I don't think Eugene Volokh's
thoughtful hypotheticals satisfactorily dispose of the argument that
free
exercise and free speech ought not be treated differently in the amount
of
burden that we accept (or the courts ought to accept) upon the public
or
others.  The problem with Eugene's hypotheticals, as I see it, is that
the
burdens outlined are not comparable, in part because one involves
non-physical speech and the other involves conduct (as Jim Maule
observes),
but also simply because of the anticipated degree of negative impact
upon
persons other than the one exercising the right.

Just to look at the first pair of hypotheticals:  While Jerry Falwell
is
postulated to have experienced emotional distress as a result of both
incidents, I submit that we intuitively would recognize that the
immediacy
and intrusiveness of the harm differs greatly when we compare reading
scurrilous reference to one's self in a periodical with experiencing
an
almost physical trespass accompanied by the use of loud sounds that
cannot
easily be escaped and, perhaps most importantly, that occurs at one's
place
of sanctuary, the home.  Thus, while I agree that the free speech claim
in
that pair of hypotheticals is stronger than the free exercise claim, I
don't
see the two cases as truly comparable in terms of the degree and
perhaps the
nature of the harm, even if both forms of harm are generally
categorized as
emotional distress.

Thus, for a set of hypotheticals comparing the strength of free speech
and
free exercise claims to be truly comparable, the nature or at least
the
degree of harm must also be comparable.  While not neatly involving
parallel
factual settings or messages, consider these two scenarios:  First, we
again
have the offensive parody of Jerry Falwell in Larry Flynt's Hustler
magazine, in which Flynt invokes freedom of speech as a defense against
claim for emotional distress.  Second, we have a homosexual couple that
is
rejected as tenants by a homeowner of traditional religious values for
the
spare room in her house, in which the homeowner invokes free exercise
as a
defense as a claim for discrimination by the homosexual couple under a
municipal gay rights ordinance.  Assume for the sake of argument that
other
rental opportunities for homosexual couples are available in that
community
(a reasonable assumption, as a municipality in which political support
exists for enactment of a gay rights law involving housing is unlikely
one in which such discrimination is omnipresent across the community,
but
even if you find the assumption more debatable, I ask you to accept it
for
this hypothetical).

Under that hypothetical, then, the claim of the homosexual couple,
although
framed as housing discrimination and seeking the remedy of an
injunction, in
practical terms is about the emotional distress of having experienced
discrimination by being rejected as a tenant on the basis of sexual
orientation.  Isn't that experience of emotional distress comparable to
that
of Jerry Falwell who was targeted for sexualized slurs based upon his
religious and political views?  In both instances, the complaining
party
understandably and sincerely has suffered an emotional injury (as I'll
assume for this hypothetical, as I doubt that Jerry Falwell truly was
that
distressed).  But both emotional injuries are unaccompanied by any
physical
component and both involve primarily upset feelings.  By that
analysis,
shouldn't the free exercise claim of the homeowner be regarded as
equally
viable as the free speech claim of Larry Flynt?

(And if you don't like my hypotheticals, feel free to formulate your
own, in
which the comparability of harm is the pivot point rather than
comparable
factual settings.)

Greg Sisk

Gregory Sisk
Professor of Law
University of St. Thomas School of Law (Minneapolis)
MSL 400, 1000 LaSalle Avenue
Minneapolis, MN  55403-2005
651-962-4923
[EMAIL PROTECTED]