My understanding is that marriage was strictly civil until some time in the middle ages.  For a long time after the organization of the church, in Europe, couples married themselves with an oral commitment, the verbum.  The church took no role.  Later the custom arose of having a priest present to testify that the verbum took place.  However, marriage was declared a sacrament at the Council of Trent, and then turned back to the state during the Reformation.

Marriage is a chiefly a property devising institution through most of recorded history, IMHO.  Only after marriage became a sacrament, and then only after marriage for love became more common, have these issues arisen.

All of which is a long way of saying I think we err if we start out assuming marriage to be a chiefly religious institution.  There are valid, necessary and significant secular issues involved in the relationships.

Have Americans not already separated marriage from the church, in large measure?  One bridal website I found said there are about 2.4 million marriages in the U.S. annually.  I haven't found a comparison, but I'd bet about 60% are outside any church.  Does anyone have a bead on more solid statistics?

Ed Darrell
Dallas

Paul Finkelman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I am not sure who the "we" is-- Jews got along fine without state
sanctified marriage for centuries; in most of Western Europe up until I
suppose in the 17th century in some places and in the age of Napoleon
for owthers, marriages were entirely in the hands of the clergy, as was
divorce insome places; what the US did was to secularize "marriage" but
retain the language that came from religion. I am not sure when that
happened; probaby began with the Puritans who on some levels wanted to
separate chruch and state but turning some church issues (marriage,
birth and death records etc.) over to the state. I have always assumed
the French began Civil Unions under Napoleon, leaving "marriage" to the
church.