I think we may be talking at cross purposes here. My point, and I think it is Eugene's as well, is that when a religious accommodation directly implicates speech and association interests, either the Establishment Clause or the Free Speech Clause or both may apply and may invalidate the accommodation. The most obvious example is a religious accommodation that exempts religious speakers (whose speech constitutes the exercise of religion) from a valid time, place and manner regulation that secular speakers must obey.

Are you suggesting that such accommodations are always constitutional? I'm more than willing to agree that not every accommodation that gives a religious beneficiary some kind of attenuated competitive advantage violates the Constitution -- and I recognize that determining when an accommodation impermissibly crosses the line to favor religious speakers or speech may be difficult in close cases. Are you arguing that the line isn't crossed by the Leonard Law -- or are you arguing that there is no line and that the legislative accommodation of religious speakers is always valid, without regard to how significantly they discriminate in favor of the dissemination of religious messages and ideas?

Alan Brownstein
UC Davis