I completely disagree on how much John Stuart Mill adds to the discussion.  His views are part and parcel of a great deal of American law, including tort, criminal, and regulatory law, and they are equally relevant in the Free Exercise context.  As to what question is on the table-- I don't think there is any constitutional right to engage in any conduct that can harm another person, religiously motivated or not.  Some believers may believe that their conduct should be immune from the law because they hold "rights" to engage in that conduct regardless of harm, but they are misinformed on the history of free exercise principles in the United States and insufficiently in tune with the harm religious entities are capable of rendering.

I understand that there are plenty who disagree with Smith.  I'm not one of them, largely because I have documented so many victims of religious entities, who have not received justice in the United States solely because those oppressing them are religious.

Marci

But the question on the table is whether there ARE rights to engage in certain religious conduct.  It is interesting that you should cite Locke.  His brand of âtolerationâ left out some people, Catholics and Jews, for example.  His brand of toleration left Anglicans in charge, left laws on the books that hampered Nonconformity, and thus gave Nonconformity nothing more than legislative grace.  I hope that we could move a bit beyond his pinched view of toleration.  Jefferson and Mill donât add much to the discussion that is particularly helpful.