I may be mistaken, but I've never heard of AFDC statutes
limiting the use of the money to food, shelter, and the like; as best I
can tell, recipients are free to spend the money on anything, including
education.  But since I didn't want to assume anything about the federal
AFDC scheme, I asked about a state general relief or disability plan.

        So let me ask again, though with this point clarified:  Say that
the Washington Legislature is bothered by reports that welfare
recipients under some state law welfare program (general relief,
disability, etc.) are spending some of their payments on Bible Study
classes.  It therefore provides that welfare benefits -- which are
otherwise usable by the recipient for any other purpose -- may not be
used to pay for any theological education, whether a degree program
(such as the one Davey wanted to use) or just an informal study program.

Is this prohibition constitutional under Locke?  Is it unconstitutional,
because Locke is somehow different?  I'd love to hear what people think.
Thanks,