[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

In a message dated 5/3/2005 8:02:48 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

    I take it there was an unofficial list of prohibited
    items?  Some things spring immediately to mind;  illicit drugs,
    alcohol,
    porn, gambling?  This makes a certain amount of sense.

Well, it was slightly, but only slightly, more complicated. First, the amount of AFDC was so inadequate that women (the client was almost always a single woman and not a single man or a family) had to struggle to use the meager funds for rent and food. Second, if the meager amount was spent and the client still had a rent or food problem, this would alert the worker to the possibility of misspent funds. Thus, exigencies of survival were typically the informal enforcement mechanism.

As a case worker, I assume it was your duty to "take care" of the clients, wasn't it? I can imagine that there were limits to the amount and type of intervention you could enact. Can you elaborate?

I realize this is getting off-topic, and have no problem moving this off-list.

Sincerely,
Jean Dudley.