I appreciate Mark's suggestion, but I don't quite understand the
"high voltage historical issue" test.

        If the "high voltage historical issue" test allows the
government to discriminatorily exclude religious uses only when those
particular kinds of programs had led to huge debates in the past, then I
think it wouldn't justify the exclusion in Locke.  To my knowledge,
there had been few debates about nondiscriminatory private-choice grants
to college students; I don't know if there were any such grant programs
before the GI Bill, but in any event I don't know of huge debates about
them throughout American history.

        Of course, if the "high voltage historical issue" test lets the
government define the scope of the historical controversy at a higher
level of abstraction -- for instance, to include debates about
discriminatory programs, or direct aid programs -- then it may well
justify the exclusion in Locke.  But why wouldn't it justify the
exclusion in my hypo?  The high voltage debates about discriminatory
grant systems and direct government subsidies involved the funding of
religious services (cf. the Virginia Assessment controversy) as well as
of K-12 religious education.  So if you look at things at that level of
generality -- if you set aside the distinction between private choice
programs and discriminatory aid programs such as the Virginia plan --
the "high voltage historical issue" encompasses contributions to
churches, and presumably spending for Bible study.

        Now Mark is right that the Founders would probably have been
outraged by the idea "that a recipient of government money (such as the
salary of a federal employee or a payment to a federal contractor) could
not use some of that money for religious purposes."  But once we
generalize from *that*, I'm not sure we know which direction to
generalize to.  I don't believe the Founders were that familiar with
programs of general monetary payments to poor people -- would they have
been outraged by the idea that such payments couldn't be used for
religious purposes?  Maybe.  But maybe they would have been outraged by
the idea that a general private-choice nondiscriminatory education
grant, which was in practice nearly always used for secular education --
another program with which they weren't that familiar -- could be by law
limited to exclude religious education.  So it seems to me that neither
the "high voltage historical issue" standard or "the Founders would have
been outraged" standard is that helpful once we go beyond very close
analogies.  And since the program in Locke is far from a close analogy
to the Virginia assessment program, or to the proposed school funding
programs that aroused opposition in the 1800s, I'm not sure what voltage
and outrage can really tell us here.