Well necessary criteria would be that the decision (1) is based on the
language of the Constitution itself, and the original meaning of those
words, (2) does not rely on some extra-Constitutional basis, such as
modern social policy or foreign law, unless that policy or law is
incorporated by the Constitution, (3) is consistent, in that if it
treats cases differently, it does so in a way rooted in the
Constitution itself.

I personally think you could have decisions which are principled
according to these criteria coming down either way on the religion
clauses.  When I think of decisions based on judicial fiat, I tend to
think more of other decisions.

Sam Ventola
Denver, Colorado