From: "Stuart BUCK" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: RE: "The Faith Of John Roberts"
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:56:56 -0500

For what it's worth:

1. Senator Durbin's office (whose interview with Roberts led to the original report) now disputes that the original report was accurate:

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20050726-121131-2535r.htm

Jonathan Turley's column is not accurate," Durbin press secretary Joe Shoemaker said, adding that his boss never asked that question and Judge Roberts never said he would recuse himself in such a case. "Judge Roberts said repeatedly that he would follow the rule of law," Mr. Shoemaker said.

2. What's supposed to be so bad about the originally reported answer of Roberts, anyway? According to the original article, "Roberts was asked by Sen. Richard Durbin (D-Ill.) what he would do if the law required a ruling that his church considers immoral. . . . Renowned for his unflappable style in oral argument, Roberts appeared nonplused and, according to sources in the meeting, answered after a long pause that he would probably have to recuse himself."

The first thing to note is that Roberts did not say (as Turley then suggested) that his personal religious views would color how he interpreted the laws. Far from saying that he would let his religious views override the law, he said (reportedly, in an account that may be inaccurate) that he might recuse himself before issuing a ruling that he considered immoral.

Well, anyone might have philosophical or ideological reasons -- not merely religious reasons -- to believe that the "law" requires a ruling that is "immoral." (If I recall, Sandy Levinson's book on "Constitutional Tragedies" contained a number of examples.) So what are judges supposed to do in such situations? Should they say, "What I think is immoral is completely irrelevant. If the law requires me to return a fugitive slave to his master, for example, the morality of the situation doesn't matter to me"?

Is that, as a general matter, the way that judges should think of themselves and their roles? Isn't recusal at least an honorable option in such instances?

Best,
Stuart Buck