Rick's question below proceeds from a false premise; public school
classrooms are not the public square.  None of the posts have suggested
that ID should be banned from the public square; the first amendment
pretty obviously would forbid that, and on that point I suspect we would
all agree.

I see no evidence that anyone is seeking to suppress ID.  What I have seen
is a concerted effort to debunk ID's claim to be science.  Were ID
presented simply as a matter of religious faith, it would engender no
controversy, but then no plausible argument could be made for including it
as part of a science curriculum.  The controversy over ID isn't about
religious faith; it's about the introduction of poorly disguised religious
doctrine into a science class.  The place to teach the controversy is in a
course that explores the role of the religion clauses in our system of
government, not in a science class.

Michael R. Masinter                     3305 College Avenue
Professor of Law                        Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314
Nova Southeastern University            (954) 262-6151 (voice)
Shepard Broad Law Center                (954) 262-3835 (fax)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                       Chair, ACLU of Florida Legal Panel