I too am unconvinced.  If the Court reverses a lower court, it says it was
wrong for the lower court to have reached the merits.  Treating a decision
that wrongly reached the merits as BINDING seems fishy, at best.  Guess
I'll have to look up the lower court law on prudential reversals.

David B. Cruz
Professor of Law
University of Southern California Law School
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0071
U.S.A.