Why is it inconsistent?  Assume a court of appeals that, after briefing and argument, carefully considers the merits question in case A and holds X.  The judgment in case A is not binding on lower courts and future panels dealing with different parties.  Nor does the judgment have res judicata effect in such future cases.  The holding X, however, is deemed "binding" in future cases, precisely because the first panel came to conclusion X after full briefing, argument and consideration (assuming, of course, that the holding was not contradicted (reversed) by the court sitting en banc or by a higher court).

Now let's say a higher court subsequently determines that the court of appeals should never have considered case A (or the "merits" questions) at all -- either becauise the plaintiff didn't have standing, or because the court didn't have jurisdiction, or because the case wasn't ripe, etc.  The effect of this reversal, or vacatur, might be that the judgment no longer has any operative effect.  But why should the precedential effect of the holding change?  After all, it was the court's reasoning -- not its judgment -- that "bound" lower courts, and other panels, in future cases.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 7:50 PM
Subject: Re: New Pledge of Allegiance Case, and precential effect of Ninth Cir cuit's earlier Newdow decision

The District Court opinion did not identify a Ninth Circuit rule of precedent on this issue and seemed to be discussing the question as a matter of general law. I don't know whether the kind of rule Marty describes exists here.

I think Justice Steven's opinion in Newdow reads very much like the Court does not think the resolution of this case by the Ninth Circuit on the merits was appropriate. Stevens writes, ""In our view, it is improper for the federal courts to entertain a claim by a plaintiff  whose standing to sue is founded on family law . . . . When hard questions of domestic relations are sure to affect the outcome, the prudent course is for the federal court to stay its hand rather than to reach out to resolve a weighty question of federal constitutional law."

That language seems to me to be inconsistent with the idea that the Ninth Circuit's decision should still be considered binding law in the Circuit.

Alan Brownstein