I agree he should not have said he was bound by the Circuit.  But, and here is where we disagree, I guess, I don't see the issue as a tabula rasa -- the 9th Circuit has spoken directly on this exact issue and I would respect that and not easily decide it as if it were a completely new issue.  To do otherwise calls to mind the New Yorker cartoon with a judge handing a decision over the bench to a litigant's lawyer while the judge says "Of course, that's just an opinion."

Steve