From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Alan Brownstein
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 8:28 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Faith tests okayed for campus Christian group at ASU

Greg, would you mind telling us what you think that language you quoted from Smith means. I can think of two possibilities. On the one hand, it may mean that when freedom of association doctrine requires the application of strict scrutiny review to state action that interferes with a secular organization’s freedom of association, courts should apply that same rigorous standard of review when it is a religious organization’s associational freedom that is burdened. But if that is what the language means, the Free Exercise Clause adds nothing to the analysis and does not seem to have any reinforcing effect. Alternatively, it may mean that that when freedom of association doctrine does not require the application of strict scrutiny review to state action that interferes with a secular organization’s freedom of association, courts should nevertheless apply strict scrutiny review when it is a religious organization’s associational freedom that is burdened. If that is what the language means, religious groups receive greater protection for their associational freedom than similarly situated secular groups. Are you suggesting that either of these understandings of hybrid rights is correct – or is there some other way to understand what Scalia’s hybrid rights language means?

Alan Brownstein

UC Davis