In a message dated 11/4/2005 12:32:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
My organization represented CEF in the Stafford case.  Prof. Volokh is
correct that the school district argued that the Establishment Clause
required it to deny CEF benefits available to other community organizations.
The essence of their argument was that they needed to protect little kids
from religion.
For anyone with the time and energy, read the brief of the State of New York in the United States Supreme Court in Lambs Chapel v. Center Moriches Union Free School District.  The hostility of the State of New York fairly reeks from the pages of the brief.  Most notable is the "religion is only of a benefit to its adherents" remark.  (Perhaps unfairly, Justice Scalia put a pointed question to the school board's attorney about that bizarre claim, even though the school board had not climbed quite so far out on the branch as had the NYAG.  I still chuckle at recalling his interrogatory, "How's life in the new regime?")

That notion - religion only benefits those who believe - is fairly distant from the folks who, during our wastrel and misspent youths, urged us to attend our places of worship this weekend (public service announcements during Saturday cartoons, brought to us by "Religion in Public Life" and the "Ad Council").  If there are voices on this list who doubt the value of religions in which they place no faith, that is all well and good for them, but every time an all too human impulse to pulverize someone or steal their car or their spouse is suppressed by a sense of religiously inspired morality, then I count myself benefitted, and on that basis, even the most ardent atheist enjoys relative peace and quiet in this nation because religion, if nothing else, opiates the masses.

And the hostility expressed in that brief is not the invention in the first degree of the Supreme Court, and of the lower federal courts in New York, but of the state's officials; the brief, after all expressed the view of the Attorney General of New York.

There was, however, a trail of evidence indicating indifference to or ignorance of the law or disregard for the teaching of the Supreme Court in the area of First Amendment rights in the lower court decisions, and in subsequent decisions of both lower courts in cases involving other challenges to denial of religious uses of New York school facilities.  And that, I think, fairly supports the impression of hostility.

Jim Henderson
Senior Counsel
ACLJ