I've been hesitant to jump in as this seems to drift a bit off topic,
but given the invitation I'll add my perspective.  I am a Catholic,
and was educated in Catholic schools and have represented Catholic
organizations for many years.  But, I married a protestant and go to
Sunday services and Bible studies, etc., at an evangelical protestant
church.  So I have some perspective on what goes on in both worlds.

I do agree with Professor Newsom that there remains a great deal of
lingering disdain among evangelical protestants for Catholics.  For
example, they do still deem it important to "covert" Catholics, and
the missionaries who come to our church talk about converting
Catholics the same way they talk about converting Hindus or Muslims.
This annoys me somewhat, but I recognize their right to say what they
want and convert who they want.  They also have serious doctrinal
problems with Catholic theology, mostly centering around their
perceptions (incorrect in my view) that (1) the Catholic church deems
the approval and involvement of priests to be essential to salvation,
as opposed to a more direct relationship with God, and (2) that
Catholics believe salvation comes through works rather than faith.  If
you took a vote you'd probably get a 50/50 result as to whether they
think Catholics are "saved," with most of the nays coming from the
older generation.  I was considered someone they wanted as an elder in
the church, until I told them I was Catholic, and then that went out
the window.

On the other hand, I don't agree with Professor Newsom that Catholics
feel so threatened by Protestants that they wish to see government
prohibit religious messages in the public square.  As Professor Volokh
has suggested, I believe that Catholics would like to see government
become more friendly to religion in general.

I also disagree with Professor Newsom in his view that Catholicism is
not evangelical.  Catholics are, in fact, trying to convert people
every day.  Preferably to Catholicism, but at least to Christianity.
They are less likely to take a direct approach of the type that some
evangelicals take, generally preferring to show Christ by example, but
they certainly are not opposed to direct approaches.  I also think
Catholics are less likely to believe that non-Christians are
necessarily condemned to damnation.

Sam Ventola
Denver, Colorado