From: "Steve Sanders" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Law & Religion issues for Law Academics'" <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Subject: RE: Bible study ban for RA's in UW-Eau Claire dorms
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 11:36:37 -0800

The point is, though, that this person’s “home” is also state property, making it akin to professor’s classroom.  If it were a different arrangement – he came to the dorm for an 8-hour shift advising students, then went back to his own off-campus apartment – obviously the university could not dictate what he did in his home during his off-time.

An RA at a public institution is a rather unique status: a state actor whose job requires that he live onsite, who is essentially “on duty” 24 hours a day (at least when he’s on the premises), and who is compensated in the form of free housing for making this sacrifice of freedom and privacy.

We know from free-exercise doctrine that a university could decline to accommodate an RA whose religion required him to attend services or observe sabbath on a schedule that would impose unreasonable demands on fellow employees.  And I imagine that under public employee speech doctrine, the university also could prohibit the RA from posting certain discriminatory social or political messages on his door – messages that ordinary dorm residents would be more free to post.

There is, of course, no entitlement to a job as an RA; it’s usually at least somewhat selective.  If an RA feels a clash of conscience between his special and demanding role and his desire to spend time spreading religious or other messages, he is free not to accept this particular employment.

Steve Sanders