The government is indeed limited in its religious speech, which
is why the courtroom postings and school namings might well be
unconstitutional.  But (especially given Widmar, Rosenberger, Pinette,
Good News Club, and Lamb's Chapel) it doesn't follow that the government
may discriminatorily restrict religious speech by individuals.

        If the individual is a government employee, that does create a
risk that the speech will be seen as government speech.  But surely this
is only a risk, not a certainty.  People may plausibly assume that any
school naming is the work of the government, and not just a private
decision by a particular person who happens to be employed by the
government.  Yet students hardly assume that anything the RA says is
government speech; of course much of it is just the RA's own views.  And
this is especially so if the RA is seen as on-duty all the time (which
as I understand it is part of UW's argument).  Of course an all-the-time
on-duty employee, especially in an environment, such as the university,
where people are expected to express their own opinions on all sorts of
things will often be expressing just his own views.  There's no good
reason for students to assume that an RA who conducts a Bible Study in
his room is speaking on behalf of the school -- especially if, as seems
very likely the case, most RA's don't conduct Bible Studies, which would
be odd if the Bible Studies were somehow the university's own speech.

        At most, a university that perceives a risk that the RA's speech
will be attributed to the university should require the RA to post a
prominent disclaimer.  University students can, I think, be expected to
understand such a disclaimer.  I don't think the disclaimer is needed,
for reasons I mentioned above; but it will indeed suffice, and given
that, I continue to think that the university may not discriminatorily
prohibit religious speech by RA's.

        By the way, what do people think of restrictions on speech by
public university professors?  Say that one of us published an article
that endorsed atheism, or criticized Catholicism (e.g., because it's
oppressive to women or homosexuals, because it wrongly opposes abortion
or cotnraception, or just because we think that it's based on irrational
assumptions).  Say that we do radio programs on these subjects from our
offices, and post discussion list posts on the subject from those
offices.  May the university bar us from engaging in such pro- or
anti-religious speech, for fear that students might question our
commitment to not discriminating against them based on religion?  May
the university bar us from engaging in such pro- or anti-religious
speech from our offices?  May the university bar us from engaging in
such speech, for fear that people will wrongly perceive our statements
as expressing the university's position rather than just our own?

        Eugene