The assumption that many of us do "bristle" is indeed correct -- I know I do (and more importantly, my kids do).  But geez -- it's only bristling, not outrage.

That is to say:  The point is not that "bristling deserves accommodation."  It probably does; but big deal.  Rather, the point is that my religion deserves respect (not accommodation) -- or rather, that each of us deserves the basic respect of not having our vendors simply assume we all celebrate the same (majoritarian) holidays.  The "longstanding tradition" has been to act as if all customers are Christians.  Sure, the majority of people "enjoy" it -- because in their case, the assumption, the generalization, is correct.  That's a tradition worth changing.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Volokh, Eugene" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Law & Religion issues for Law Academics" <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 3:34 PM
Subject: RE: The Holiday That Dare Not Speak Its Name

    Actually, what I think Rick is annoyed by is the assumption that
non-Christians bristle at being wished "Merry Christmas" -- and that
this bristling deserves accommodation, as a business matter and as a
manners matter -- but that Christians *do not* bristle at the
generification of a longstanding tradition that they have enjoyed, and
they see (with good reason, in my view and in Rick's) as innocent and
harmless, or that their bristling doesn't deserve accommodation.  And if
Rick is right that many Christians do bristle at this, then it makes
sense for Rick and others like him to urge people to make this bristling
known, lest it otherwise be assumed not to exist and therefore be
ignored.

    I myself would prefer that people would bristle less at such things
in either direction.  But when some forcefully speak out on one side of
the matter, and demand that businesses change their practices -- even if
no legal threat accompanies the demand -- then it's hard to condemn
others' forcefully speaking out on the other side.